Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 1: 01/04/12 - Kitchen Junk Drawers


I am so excited to start this new organization challenge. I was playing on Pinterest and found an article (posted below in GRAB-N-GO STASHES). It was about organizing snacks for the kids. My entire kitchen is a cluster of crap and crumbs and so I was originally starting out by seeing if I could organize the kitchen. Well, why not attempt to do one organizational thing a day?  Sounds simple enough.  
Let's get started!

So I know everyone has a junk drawer. It's the one place that you get to throw whatever you want into one drawer and not worry about it for a few months.  Today I had to worry about two junk drawers.  One has pens, pencils, rulers, mini light bulbs, coins, post-its, ticket stubs from the show in 2006, candles and lots of screws. I knew that if I put them safely in that drawer that I wouldn't lose them - however, I haven't a clue what all those screws go to anymore. 

DRAWER 1 - Goodbye
Hello organization!
Time to empty the entire drawer out. Put the pens and pencils in a cup or caddy that is easily reached by the kids. Put the coins in the piggy bank, toss the batteries that may or may not be good, realize that I'm not going to scrapbook a movie ticket stub and the #4 candles can now be thrown out; it's melted 1/2 way down and looks like an upside down "h."  The post-it's, tape, rulers, and protractor can all go together in the OFFICE compartment, the screwdriver, chair pads, light fixtures, and flashlight can go in the TOOLS compartment. 

DRAWER 2 - Ugh!
I'm purging this drawer. It's the cooking utensil drawer. 9 spoons, 8 spatulas, 12 wooden spoons & things, 10 pair of tongs (??), 4 rolling pins, 3 cheese graters, 4 peelers, ahhh... it's never ending.  Dump the drawer out pick out what we need.  We probably only need a large & small spatula (rubber), a long metal one, and 2 of the little pampered chef ones (those are ideal for everything). We could probably use all the serving spoons but I only need one spaghetti server. For tongs, a good wooden pair, a nice fork/spoon silver pair, a OXO pair and a mini pair for just the small things.  Put them all in order and I have a neat drawer once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment